Compulsory Basic Training (CBT)

This is the first course you will need to be legal on the road on a 50cc if you are 16yrs, or a 125cc if you are 17yrs or over. It is also required if you wish to achieve a full motor cycle licence (DAS).

The CBT is usually a one day course, although if you are new to two wheels you may need to tidy up on a second day to make sure you reach the required standard. Once you have completed this course we will be able to advise you on how much training you will need to achieve a full motorcycle licence, and Module 1 and Module 2 DSA practical tests, ask your instructor and they will be happy to help.


CBT course breakdown

Element B-Practical onsite training

Element C-Practical on site riding

Element D-Practical on road training

Element E-Practical on road riding

Licence requirements

  1. 16 years old? You are eligible for a provisional moped licence which allows you to ride up to 50cc moped providing you obtain a Compulsory Basic Training certificate (CBT or DL196) by passing your CBT. You still have to display 'L' plates and cannot carry pillion passengers. When you reach 17 you can upgrade straight to a 125cc.
  2. 17 or over? You can apply for a provisional motorcycle licence. If you have a provisional car licence then you must request the DVLA to also add motorcycle entitlement (Category A) to it when applying, otherwise they will give you car only. A full car licence holder has provisional motorcycle entitlement already, so no extra paperwork there. You will still need to complete a CBT before legally riding on the public roads on a maximum of 125cc, no pillions and displaying 'L' plates. *

* If you passed your car test before 1st February 2001 then you are automatically entitled to ride a moped without 'L' plates and carry a pillion passenger without taking a CBT (although if you are new to two wheels then it is strongly recommended that you still take one).